No later than 90 days before the end of our collective agreements, collective agreement units will have either sent a bargaining communication or received from each employer. After this communication, we will have time to make decisions and exchange proposals. An agreement can be reached at any time in the negotiations. If the parties are too far apart and cannot reach an agreement, a conciliation officer (someone trained to lead the negotiations) is asked by the Ministry of Labour in Ontario. If you have questions about your rights in the workplace, the best person you can talk to is your steward or local leader. You will know the details of your agreement. All CUPE members work under the protection of a collective agreement called a collective agreement. Your local union negotiates the terms of the agreement. Elected local union leaders also work with the employer to resolve workplace issues. If you want a copy of your collective agreement on paper, talk to your trustee. If you don`t know who your administrator is or how to contact your office, contact the CUPE office near you. If an agreement can be reached through negotiation, the agreement must be ratified by both the employer and the union.

The unit will hold a ratification vote for its members. Members will be informed in advance of the location and date of ratification votes. If members reject the proposed agreement, the parties will return to the negotiating table to continue negotiations. If an agreement is reached during a lockout/strike and the members do not support the conditions in the colony, the lockout/strike continues. The lockout/strike ends only if an agreement is reached through other negotiations or if the province introduces a law reintroducing work. LTC workers are covered by the Hospital Labour Disputes Arbitration Act (Article 2.4 of your collective agreement). Points 6, 7 and 8 are not considered as such. If there are issues on which the union and the employer cannot agree, they are decided by an arbitrator. If it is still not possible to reach an agreement with an arbitrator, either the union or the employer can ask the Ministry of Labour for a no board report.